Sitting on a 733 foot promontory above the Columbia River, the Vista House is a landmark of history, architecture and scenic beauty. It was originally built in 1916 after the dedication of the Columbia River Highway as a rest stop along the scenic route. Both the highway and the house are within a National Historic District and are a National Landmark. The Vista House at Crown Point was recently restored with the help of Transportation Enhancements, National Scenic Byways Program, and Federal Lands Highway Program awards.
Both the interior and the exterior underwent major renovations to restore the original house. The inside of the dome was painted to simulate the marble and bronze originally planned for the structure. Green opalized glass was installed in some windows and others were made clear for viewing. A new glazed green tile roof was installed over a protective dome membrane. Handicap-accessible features were added, including a one of a kind elevator. Federal Award: $545,000.00; Local Match: $473,000; Total: $1,018,000
ColumbiaColumbia River GorgeGorgeHighwayHouseOregonPreservationRiverScenicScenic HighwayVistaVista Housetea06